Monday, August 22, 2011

An Awakening

This week has been a tough one. On Wednesday evening there was a terrible wreck involving children of  church friends on their way to Wed. evening church activity. After jaws of life and a medflight to Children's Hospital, the worst fears are past...no spinal cord injuries or brain damage or death. These are life altering injuries, however. And then the granddaughter of another church friend is having brain surgery today to try to take care of bleeding in her brain from a fall sustained two days ago. All of this is just a reminder of how fast life can change. Something similar happened to me two years ago when my dad had a stroke. In an instant, your life is changed.

I have known all my life that we have never been promised a life of ease and no suffering, but somehow we come to expect that, don't we? It is times like these that will make or break one's faith in God. I know He can work good through evil and pray that He will hold these friends close as they are pressed to the limit.

School has started up for the fall term and I am beginning my second year of retirement. Last year I was so consumed with trying to get my dad and daughter settled that I never even noticed that I did not get up and go to work every day. Now I have the time to prioritize my days. I pray that I will put them to good use and always remember what is important.


No comments:

Post a Comment