Monday, July 18, 2011

Roots

For most of my adult life I have been on some sort of eating plan. Usually my top priority has been losing or maintaining a weight loss. However, I have always been very health conscious and never really went on any crazy fad diets. I am really angry at the dietary information that has been foisted on the public from the so called medical and science community. I spent way too many years trying to eat "heart healthy," limiting eggs, avoiding saturated fat and butter, using vegetables oils and low fat dairy.

Now my goal is to locate food that my great grandmother would recognize. Local farmers do have their beef for sale. I have a calf reserved for me this fall and a new freezer with enough room to store my half. There is no way I can get a totally pastured animal, but this is better than the feedlot supermarket choices. I have also found an egg lady. I know that her chickens are not totally pastured, but the eggs are certainly lower in omega 6s than the battery eggs that would be my other choice. I have found a local source of raw milk cheese and have found pastured butter. The local farmer's markets do have fresh produce. One grocery store carries cream that is pasteurized, but not ultra pasteurized. Imagine cream lasting for more than a month! And, by reading the fine print, I have found some Alaskan salmon that is wild and frozen in Alaska, not China. I have started making my own mayonnaise, salad dressings, and barbeque sauce. I had to find a butcher in another town before I could actually find any marrow bones to make beef broth. The grocery stores get their meat already cut up. It is almost impossible to find a piece of meat on the bone.

In one or two generations we have totally changed our way of eating so much that it is actually difficult to find real food. With the time I have left I plan to follow this "ancestral" way of eating. My collection of older cookbooks are a valuable resource. Would you believe there was a time when a recipe didn't include "a can of cream of mushroom soup?"

No comments:

Post a Comment